Saturday, August 11, 2012

Under-the-Sink Transformation!

The other day, I made my very own apartment-sized worm compost bin! This is something I've been putting off for a long time, so I was very proud to finally get it done.

I put it under my sink and stepped back to admire my achievement...


...and I was kind of underwhelmed.

I saw two problems with this scenario:
1. The interior of my cabinets is blaaaaaah, but I'm a renter so I can't paint anything.
2. The labels that I'd made for my recycle bins were quite unimpressive.

So I decided that that must be changed!

I didn't want to spend much money on this project. So to change the cabinet interior I broke out some cardboard, spray paint, and acrylic paint to make a liner.

The recycle bin situation was trickier. The original plan was make stencils and use some of that same acrylic paint to paint labels on the bins. So I made stencils using a free font that I liked called Fontleroy Brown.

But after a good hour of painting, letting dry, painting more, letting dry ... I found that the paint didn't stick onto the plastic bins at all! :( Not one to give up, I scraped off the dry paint mess and re-stenciled with Sharpie markers.

Et voila!


Yay - this one little space looks so much happier now!

3 comments: