Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rag Rug!!

Ever since I saw this tutorial on Pinterest, I have really been wanting to make a rag rug!

So over spring break, Mom and I gathered materials to make rugs together. Her rug was completed soon after I went back to Corvallis. I, however, took my sweet time ... but four months later I finally summoned the gusto to do it!


So here's my little tutorial.

What you need:
-A huge crochet hook. I got my size Q one from Michaels for about $2
-Pleeeenty of fabric. You could use shirts, but when you cut the fabric like that it takes ages so I suggest using old sheets. I bought fabric/sheets from various thrift stores (and I raided Mom's stash!) which totaled about $6.
-Scissors (for cutting off ends)
-Time. Mine took 10-12 hours total for a 3 1/2 - 4 foot rug.

Let's begin!

1. Gather your fabric. I used a variety of textures, but I really REALLY  recommend sticking to woven fabric like sheets. Then, instead of having to cut your fabric (labor intensive!!!) you can snip and rip.

 2. Cut or tear your fabric and roll it into balls. I made my fabric into about 1" strips. I would snip into my fabric, tear until I almost reached the other edge, then flipped, snipped, and ripped again. This way I was able to make one long strip from a big rectangle of fabric.

For me, this part took about 5 hours by itself. I imagine I could have reduced my time by at least an hour if I had used all woven fabrics that I could rip, rather than some knit that I had to cut all the way.

3. Start crocheting in the round! I single crocheted so that the holes wouldn't be too big. Here is a good tutorial for crocheting in the round.

 4. At this point you're going to want to turn on a TV show and watch it as you work. This takes hours and hours, but it's a fabulous project if it's a hot day and you don't feel like moving much!

 5. Fasten off - you're done!

Mine turned out big enough that I can sit on it with plenty of room. It currently hangs out in my living room, but it is a fantastic size for if I want to move it into my kitchen, hall, or bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment