Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Winter Home

It seems like just yesterday that I painted up my little polka-dot outdoor tables and planted my springtime garden.



Since then, I've obtained new plants, some have grown, and some seasonal ones have already expired.
And now fall is in the air, and it brings with it... brrrrr!

So I needed to find a space where I could house my plants during the chilly months. The main challenge was, where? I have two windows in my apartment, and one of them has been recently occupied by music gear. The other window has the couch in front ... but ... maybe I could squeeze eight inches out of the space for a shelf?


YES!!!

I looked everywhere but couldn't find a thin, short, inexpensive shelf. So I went with Plan B: a slab of laminate flooring and cinder blocks.

At this point I want to take a moment to recognize how awesome Habitat for Humanity ReStore is. I was able to get materials for a functional shelf at a very College Kid Budget-friendly price. Plus the volunteers were very helpful and my money is going to a good cause. Awesome all-around.


Plus, check out this cool strawberry pot thing I found there! I'm excited to fill it with a new plant next spring.


I feel that the end result is nice-looking and functional. My plants will get light and stay warm through the winter. Score!

As you can see, I've named some of my plants, but not all of them. I'd like your help in naming the rest.

From top to bottom we have: Chloe the Dieffenbachia, Helen the Chocolate Mint, an unnamed ornamental flower guy, Remy the Plant Mom Gave Me But I'm Not Sure What (help here, Mom?) an unnamed Cayenne Pepper guy, and an unnamed Oregano guy.

Help me fill in the blanks, please! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment