Sunday, February 2, 2014

Gettin' Some Dirt Under My Nails

Sometimes I get frustrated that my course requirements do not permit me to spend all my time learning about media.

Then there are days like today which make me grateful that I am given the opportunity to explore different perspectives.

I'm in a sustainability course that synthesizes geology with social sciences. We're required to do some kind of service project during the term.

I went out to the Organic Growers Club farm, a 2-acre lot just outside of the Corvallis city limits.

There were about 15 of us helping out today.
We spent 4 hours turning up soil and digging up roots.

That's about 60 man hours.
There was a little friendly competition for who could dig up the longest quackgrass root.

My new friend Jess found a lot of REALLY long ones.
There were also TONS of earthworms. As I came across them, I named them after presidents.

Meet Taft.
We also came across a bunch of these little grubs. The manager of the grounds said that they're safe to eat, so a few of us tried some.
Challenge accepted.
I was promised that they would taste a little nutty, like almonds, but really it just tasted like bug.



What a great day to get my hands dirty!

Bonus: Dobie the Doberman.

1 comment:

  1. Now I know that bugs taste like guts, another one of life's great mysteries answered. Thanks! I enjoyed this post immensely.

    ReplyDelete